27 October, 2011

Advertising genes? LOL!

The incentive for humans to do all that, that is humanely possible to do, has had lots of people speculating in various dimensions. There have been social, economic, philanthropic and biological justifications.

The most entertaining of these, and that is the most convincing as well is the evolutionary perspective.


Organisms, given their conditioning to the law of natural selection, want to transmit the best of the genes  to better the process of evolution and hence playing their part in perpetuating the highest quality genes.

The usual example of peahens being attracted towards peacocks with large, vibrant tails, or giraffes with the longest necks etc... are just the tip of the iceberg of the evidence that's out there in front of us.

Talking about ourselves, the evolutionary gift bestowed on us is the ability to think, imagine and create : Our Intellectual abilities. So, the incentive as directed from the evolutionary force, for each of us to be able to be doing what we do, is to advertise our genes!

This has neuroscientific elucidation; There are certain portions of the modular brain that we are bestowed with abilities to enact the trait of advertising the genes for evolutionary purposes, which end up being subsconscious many a times.

I am so resonating with this idea, that I might concur entirely with this argument ;-)

This makes so much sense, at least to me, or the ones like me: I recently discovered that my saga of amorous infatuations (at least the majority of them), have had a categorization! I wholly belong to a genre of people, coded with a sexual orientation called as "sapiosexual" ( a person who is sexually attracted to intelligence in others)!

And because I see myself as a sapiosexual, the notion of me advertising my genes (although it sounds ludicrous), seems justifiable ;)


PS: Suggested reads - works of Wilayanur Ramachandran, and of course Charles Darwin.

2 comments:

  1. I think what you have said is true... All I have to do now is to figure out what I'm looking for! Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! High time, figure it out soon, else you'll be left behind in the race to evolution :P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails